Innovative Programs for Newcomers

0 4,996

Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario has long been a leader in innovative education. This is especially true for the field of immigration and settlement studies, and programs for internationally educated professionals. For newcomers who want to keep working in their field in Canada, pursue academic careers, and/or work with newcomers directly, Ryerson offers creative and unique educational opportunities.

Gateway for International Professionals

If you’re an internationally educated professional, you probably want to continue working in your field. Canada’s labour force needs you too. Ryerson’s Gateway for International Professionals at the Chang School of Continuing Education offers bridging and support programs, including work placements, that can ease your transition into Canada’s labour market in several professions.

Gateway for International Professionals offers five occupation-specific bridging programs:

1. International Accounting and Finance Professionals program

This program offers 2 different streams. To seek certification or employment in accounting, Bridge to Accounting Credentials has what you need. If your goals are in the wider financial services sector, Bridge to Employment in Financial Services is your program. To increase your qualifications in Canada, the Financial Management in Canada Certificate program program builds on your existing skills, provides you with more about the financial sector in Canada, and includes job-specific communications training. For more information, please visit

2. Internationally Educated Dietitians Pre-registration program

If you are an internationally educated dietitian, this bridging program will increase your understanding of the field of dietetics in Ontario through courses, mentorship, and work placement, preparing you to seek registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario (CDO) and membership in Dietitians of Canada (DC). For more information, please visit

3. Middle-level Managers (MLM) with Technical Background Bridging Program

If you have project management experience from fields like engineering, science, environmental science, information technology and related disciplines, this program offers you further training in project management, communication, and Canadian workplace culture. It prepares you for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® examination offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). For more information, please visit

4. International Midwifery Pre-registration Program (IMPP)

If you are internationally educated midwife and have practiced midwifery in the last five years, this 9-month part-time bridging program offers you skills assessment, information about practice in Ontario, clinical placements, mentoring and a pre-registration exam, to prepare you to apply for registration with the College of Midwives of Ontario (CMO). For more information, please visit

5. Internationally Educated Social Work Professionals (IESW) Program

If you have prior education and work experience in social services, this 10-month bridging program, unique to Ryerson, leads to a Certificate in Canadian Social Work Practice. Its degree credit courses comply with the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE) accreditation standards, and are monitored by Ryerson’s Faculty of the School of Social Work. It includes work placement, profession-specific communication and job search supports. For more information, please visit

In addition to the Chang School’s Gateway programs, Ryerson’s Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Science offers the Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification Bridging Program (, while the Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, in collaboration with Centennial College, offers RPN Bridging to University Nursing ( that qualifies internationally educated nurses to apply to Ryerson’s degree completion program.

Workplace Communication and English as a Second/Additional Language programs

Advanced English language proficiency is as important for you as it is for your Canadian employer. The Chang School offers courses to improve your English language and workplace-specific communication skills.

If your English is intermediate or advanced, the Certificate in English as a Second/Additional Language course or other individual courses can improve your reading, writing and speaking skills. For more information, please visit

to improve your professional communication skills in the Canadian workplace and develop your soft skills, take the Workplace Communication in Canada Program. Its three streams – Canadian Workplace Communication for International Professionals, Advanced Canadian Workplace Communication for International Professionals and Workplace Leadership for International Professionals – each offer five courses. For more information, please visit:

Academic programs in immigration and settlement studies

You may consider continuing your career in the Canadian immigrant settlement sector, where you can use your professional background and your own immigrant experiences to help other newcomers settle in Canada. Depending on your academic background, you might also enhance your skills in the immigration and settlement field by continuing your graduate studies. In this case, Ryerson University provides you with two inter-disciplinary academic programs.

The Chang School offers a Course series in Immigration and Settlement Studies, which provides you with an overview of global migration trends and issues, analysis of immigrant experiences in Canada, and strategies to deal with workplace diversity. For more information, please visit§ion=program&mode=program&sub=atd&cert=CSIMSE01.

If your goal involves in-depth academic studies in this field, Ryerson’s Yeates School of Graduate Studies offers the MA program in Immigration and Settlement Studies. This is Canada’s only masters program devoted to the multi-disciplinary study of immigration and settlement in the Canadian context. The program can be full-time (1 year) or part-time (2 years) and includes a practicum placement for first-hand experience working in the settlement field. For more information, please visit

Ryerson University’s innovative programs can help you bridge your professional qualifications to continue your work in Canada and help you obtain qualifications for a professional or academic career in immigration and settlement field.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.