Keep Your PR Card Working

0 7,444

Embarrassing, inconvenient, frustrating, unnecessary – these words all describe the experience of trying to re-enter Canada without a valid Canadian permanent resident (PR) card.

In July 2007, five-year Canadian permanent resident (PR) cards will begin expiring. If you travel internationally, don’t let this catch you by surprise. The cards are necessary to re-enter Canada.

“We’re encouraging people to plan ahead,” said Citizenship and Immigration Minister Diane Finley. “Permanent residents should check the expiry date on their cards and apply for a new one well before they travel.”

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, make sure to check the expiry date on your card if you plan to travel outside Canada after July 1, 2007 and to apply for a new card before it is too late. Permanent residents who travel outside Canada must show the card before boarding commercial transportation (plane, train, boat or bus) when returning to Canada. Without a valid PR card, permanent residents will not be allowed to board, and will need to make alternative travel arrangements at their own expense and inconvenience. Permanent residents who have obtained Canadian citizenship no longer need a PR card. Permanent residents can obtain a new card by completing the application kit available online at or by calling 1-888-242-2100.

Applications are currently being processed within six to eight weeks of receipt at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.